City: NAGA CITY
STATUS: Activities elaborated and implementation ongoing
Key Sectors: Housing, Energy Efficiency, Water Management, Capacity Building
Bicol State College of Applied Sciences and Technology (BISCAST)
GIZ Urban Nexus Adviser
Dr. Richard H. Cordial
City Government of Naga
Regional / National Partner
Department of Science and Technology Region 5 (DOST);
Philippine Association of State Universities and Colleges
GEOGRAPHY AND POPULATION
BISCAST is located in Naga City serving the Bicol Region; it accommodates 4,431 students,
implements research and extension works as well as teaching.
KEY DEVELOPMENT ISSUES
BISCAST as a meso-level educational institution was selected for the purpose of dissemination of the nexus concept including applied technologies within and outside of the academe. Furthermore, BISCAST as State College not only provides technical and educational support to the current 4,431 students but also to the region of Bicol as well as nationwide. The main focus is on capacity building in energy and water conservation, waste management, and sustainable architecture.
DETAILS OF COOPERATION
In 2014, BISCAST supported the GIZ Nexus project and Naga City in its lowcost housing project in Del Rosario. The partnership expanded and BISCAST established its own Nexus Task Force which developed an Integrated Resource Management Plan currently implemented, considering six major areas:
1) sustainable site development,
2) eco-friendly campus,
3) capacity building
4) integration of sustainable design principles in instruction,
5) energy management and
6) climate change resilient pilot housing (CCRPH).
The latter, CCRPH received the highest rating (KAMAGONG) from Philippine Green Building Initiative PGBI for green building standards as well as for “Climate Change Resiliency”. BISCAST also developed “low-cost housing building design system”, which received “Accreditation of Innovative Technologies for Housing” (AITECH) from the National Housing Authority in December 2017.
EXPECTED DEVELOPMENTAL IMPACTS
• The nexus approach is integrated into BISCAST’s training, research and extension works. Toward this end, BISCAST is envisioned to become one of the leading institutions among the State Universities and Colleges (SUC) in the Philippines with regard to integrated resource management.
• The nexus approach and technologies are disseminated to other educational, private and governmental institutions.
• Applied technologies in the fields of renewable energies and energy efficiency, water conservation and climate change resilient housing are displayed for educational and research purposes.
• Naga City other municipalities and private sectors, express interest to adapt BISCAST technologies in climate change resilient housing, water conservation and solid waste management.
• All students are knowledgeable on sustainable design principles in the built environment and can select appropriate green technologies.
• Energy and water, consumption is reduced and efficiency enhanced.
ESTIMATED INVESTMENT VALUE
5,289,750 PHP (EUR 86,660) budget to be used to implement the project until the end of 2018
SOURCES OF FINANCING
GIZ NEXUS SUPPORT
Technical advisory services and capacity building
Logistics, technical and financial support
SOURCES OF FINANCING